If you’re locked on to your screen, eating at your desk and drinking too much, you need to take control of your work habits – and get your life back
However within this relatively privileged realm, work can still be detrimental to your health. Too many people are spending too much time in front of a screen, getting caught up in back-to-back meetings, eating lunch on the hop, if at all, sitting for hours at a desk, worrying about work at night, consuming too much caffeine, and winding down from the whole thing with a few drinks too many.
Here are the few takeaways to stay healthy at work:
- Stand up. Sitting is the new smoking. When I work, I always stand up. I found it better than sitting down for a long period. You can try a Pomodoro technique: 25 minute work, 5 minute break.
- Use the stairs instead of elevators; provided you’re not working in a skyscraper.
- Take some time off from your computer screen. Too much exposure can strain your eyes.
- Regulate your caffeine intake. This Asap Science video explains the effects of caffeine. Coffee affects your sleeping habits and dehydration.
- Drink water to fight dehydration.